Because I got tired of having my drinks drip on me (whether because of condensation, or because my drink sloshed and got messy on the outside), I began using a napkin smashed down in each of my cupholders to absorb any moisture on the outside of my cups. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked. I looked into investing in the stone coasters, but I didn’t always like the designs, and am too cheap to pay $10 or more for something that sits in the dark recesses of my cupholders. I had some leftover cotton yarn from making a washcloth, and it wasn’t really enough to make much of anything, but it was enough to make two cupholders for my little truck. If they get dirty, I just toss them in the wash; I get tired of them, I can make two more in under an hour. Let me know if you have any questions!
Finished size: 2-3/4 inches diameter
Gauge: Gauge isn’t really important here, only because it will take less time to make the cupholder than a gauge swatch.
Round 1: Ch 2, 8 sc into 2nd chain from hook, join with sl st to first sc (8 sc)
Round 2: ch 1, 2 sc into each sc, join with sl st to first sc (16sc)
Round 3: ch 1, *1 sc into 1st sc, 2 sc into next sc, repeat from * to end, join with sl st to first sc (24 sc)
Round 4: ch 2, 1 dc into each sc, join with sl st to first dc (24 dc)
Round 5: ch 1, 1 sc in each dc, join with sl st to first sc (24 sc)
Fasten off and weave in ends with tapestry needle
**A quick note: I’ve found out that some cupholders are a little larger than mine. If that seems to be the case for you, then just add another round of sc or dc…whichever will fit. My cupholders are probably just short of 3″ in diameter, so I don’t mind the coasters being a smidge smaller so that I can grab them out of there easier, but I know other folks may want a tighter fit.**
Comments are closed.